Modo Board of Directors 2018 Call for Expressions of Interest
Call for Expressions of Interest
It is with mixed emotions that the Modo Board of Directors bids an early farewell to Sarah Webb, the Board Chair. Sarah has been a dedicated carshare volunteer for more than a decade and is stepping down from her Board role so that she can be more closely involved with carsharing in her day job. Modo thanks Sarah Webb for her leadership and contributions to the organization and to the cooperative movement. A new Chair will be elected from the current Board members at its next meeting in October.
According to Modo’s Board Rules and policies, the Board will appoint a member to fill this vacancy and invites interested share-holding (Modo Plus) members to submit an Expression of Interest. Members from any of the geographic communities represented by Modo are encouraged to put their name forward.
The appointed member will serve on the Modo Board until the next AGM (April 2019) at which point they may choose to run for election.
Serving on Modo’s Board of Directors is a way to support the co-op and represent the needs of members. It is also a way to contribute one’s expertise while ensuring Modo’s social purpose is met. Please read the following information carefully for an outline of Director responsibilities and how to submit an expression of interest.
Director Duties and Responsibilities
The ability of directors to contribute to Modo’s success is significant, as is the commitment. Board meetings are monthly and last approximately three hours, with full attendance expected. Board Members residing outside Greater Vancouver can attend via teleconference, or reasonable travel costs will be covered by Modo.
Additionally, it is expected that directors volunteer to sit on at least one committee. Committees meet monthly for approximately one hour. Currently there are four standing committees: Finance and Audit, Governance, Human Resources, and Nominations.
All applicants must confirm their availability for the following meetings.
Nov 28, 2018: 5-8pm | Modo Board and Committee Meetings
Jan 23, 2019: 5-8pm | Modo Board and Committee Meetings
Feb 27, 2019: 5-8pm | Modo Board and Committee Meetings
Mar 27, 2019: 5-8pm | Modo Board and Committee Meetings
April 2019: 5-8pm | Modo Board and Committee Meetings (date to be determined and may include pre-AGM preparations)
What our directors do
The Board of Directors provides direction and oversight to the organization. Tasks include:
- Reviewing the Strategic Plan and setting goals for the organization (including financial, operational, social and environmental goals)
- Reviewing the Enterprise Risk Management Plan
- Reviewing the performance of Modo’s CEO
- Monitoring the financial performance of the organization
- Reviewing and setting policy as required
- Participating in outreach and publicity events as requested by staff
- Liaising with the wider co-operative community and adherence of co-op principles through Modo operations
What our directors don’t do
Directors are not involved in the day-to-day operations of the co-operative, and do not deal with issues such as:
- Vehicle buying, maintenance issues, or vehicle placement
- Customer service issues
- External contracts or partnerships with developers, transit authorities, or any other partners
- Staffing issues, except as related to the CEO
- Business development, marketing, or advertising of services
- Public and/or media relations (except as requested by staff)
Modo’s Board consists of nine directors, with one seat currently vacant. A key pillar of the co-op is diversity and inclusion. Equally important is the diverse composition of our board. It is essential the Board be comprised of directors with a mix of skills and backgrounds, both professional and personal. In particular, the Board seeks individuals with experience in the following areas:
- Co-operative legislation and related governance issues
- Accounting designation (CPA)
- Urban or transportation planning
- Information technology
- Brand development and marketing execution
- Senior management or team leadership
Modo encourages and welcomes all qualified candidates. We pride ourselves on being an equal opportunity organization and encourage nominations from all individuals, including those identifying with traditionally underrepresented groups. We are dedicated to maintaining a healthy, productive, and respectful work environment, free from bullying, harassment, and discrimination, and in which all are treated with dignity. Our directors are volunteers. They are not paid or given preferential treatment for their time spent on board business.
Interested in Getting Involved?
If you are a Modo Plus shareholding member interested in serving on the Board and can fulfill the requirements listed above, please submit your Expression of Interest (attachment) which includes the following:
- Signed Directors Expression of Interest Package
- Written submission addressing the following:
- Why did you originally join Modo?
- What kind of Board or other volunteer experience do you have?
- What professional or other community building experience do you have?
- What impact does Modo have in your community?
Close of Director Expressions of Interest
Director Expressions of Interest close at 5pm on Wednesday October 17, 2018. Expressions of Interest are accepted any time prior to close by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Modo’s Board of Directors thanks you in advance for your interest and consideration. For more information or to speak to a current director about what is involved, please email email@example.com or contact Modo at 604.685.1393 and ask to have a director contact you.