Modo Celebrates Coop Week 2018!
Another year has come and gone in celebrating Co-op Week at Modo!
From October 14th to 20th Co-ops all across Canada came together to celebrate what it means to be a cooperative. The seven days of Co-op Week provide a great opportunity for co-operators to take some time to reflect on each of the seven Co-operative Principles including:
- Voluntary and Open Membership
- Democratic Member Control
- Member Economic Participation
- Autonomy and Independence
- Education, Training, and Information
- Co-operation among Co-operatives
- Concern for Community
Partnering Cooperatives in Vancouver
Thank you to the Cooperatives below for their sponsorship in prizes for Co-op Week 2018.
The East End Food Co-operative is Vancouver’s only consumer-owned grocery store. They have been a pioneering in the organic food movement and providing long-standing support of local producers and farmers since 1975. Support the Co-op by shopping there!
Wood Shop Workers Co-op is a worker-owned business in East Vancouver that makes wood furniture and millwork, offers design and build services, and conducts Build It! Check them out!
Vancity is a financial services co-operative, owned by more than 525,000 members. They provide members with a range of financial products and services to help them meet their financial goals and build their personal wealth. Discover Vancity, a local member-owned credit union!
Modo Co-op Week Staff Challenge:
The Modo staff took some time to reflect on Modo as a cooperative and how they’re living up to the co-op principles. From there, all staff were asked to write their answers on a post-it note (yes, with pen and paper) which was then placed on a corkboard in Modo’s Vancouver office. Here’s what some of the staff had to say:
- Modo supports community organizations in a meaningful way to enable them to access needed transportation options
- Modo inspires, supports, and enables other carshare co-ops to get started across Canada
- Modo supports its staff actively to learn more about the co-op values
- Modo advocates the importance of member contributions by showcasing growth and co-op achievements every year
To further celebrate Co-op week, we included some special prizes from other local cooperatives for the Grow Modo campaign. Members who referred a friend to join Modo from September 5th to October 31st were entered to win $200 of Modo drive time, $100 Visa gift card courtesy of Vancity Credit Union, $100 gift card for the Wood Shop Worker’s Co-op, and $100 gift card for East End Food Co-op.
At Modo, we rely on our members to help us grow in local communities and we appreciate each and every referral! Did you know that 96% of members say they would refer Modo. Have you referred lately?