Response to Open Return Availability
We’ve received some amazing feedback from the Modo community since the launch of Open Return and we want to thank you for the excitement that you share with us! But, we understand some members are concerned about vehicle availability – especially in neighborhoods with fewer cars – with the launch of Open Return.
Members have been demanding more flexible return options from Modo for a long time. We’re pleased to provide a solution through Open Return while mitigating concerns of availability.
Here’s why we’re confident there will be minimal impact on availability:
- Members using Open Return have a significant motivation to end their booking when they are done with the car, and not keep it for 24 hours, to keep the time charge as low as possible.
- Members have always been able to book longer than they need, even by days, without penalty if the booking is canceled within 12 hours of the start time; meaning the fleet has always looked artificially booked to some extent and this hasn’t posed a problem. Because of this ability to cancel a Set Return, bookings made 4-12 hours in advance will be the ones most affected by Open Return, however, over the years, our members have been increasingly making far more last-minute bookings than advanced ones.
- We’ve restricted the use of Open Returns to Daily Drives, which make up the majority of our fleet, and are more often booked last minute.
- We’ve excluded Large & Loadables and Oversized vehicles from Open Returns, as there are fewer of these specialty vehicles in our fleet, and members tend to book them in advance of their trip.
- While we don’t believe any neighborhoods will experience artificial availability issues, including those with fewer cars, if this proves to be a problem we have the technical ability to restrict specific cars/neighbourhoods from Open Returns and/or add more cars if usage is higher than expected
- Most importantly, we chose to launch Open Return in January, as the early winter months – historically with the highest vehicle availability and lowest usage – gives us the opportunity to evaluate the impact and address any unforeseen issues.