Driving experience without owning a car!
If you’re a Modo Plus Member you may be eligible to add a driver as young as 16 with an L (Learner’s) licence to your account!
At Modo we aim to provide service that is as inclusive as possible and give people the freedom to choose a car-free lifestyle, which prompted us to redefine our driver eligibility from 19+ with a N (New) to 16+ with an L. This means the young or learner drivers in your life can now drive with Modo. It also means you don’t have to spend the extra insurance premium required to cover these drivers in your own vehicle, in the event you have one.
Our Green Member program gives you an affordable alternative when helping a young or learner driver get the practice hours they need, with rates starting at just $5/hour and over 600 vehicles to choose from in more than 20 municipalities across the Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island and the Okanagan. And with Modo’s great variety of vehicles, student drivers can get an opportunity to learn to drive everything from compact cars to minivans and trucks.
And if you want to complement practice hours with lessons, check out ICBC’s guide to choosing a driving school.
Read a Q&A with 18 year old learner driver and carsharing fan, Nick DeYoung, on the blog.
Green Member eligibility and rules
- Must be 16+ with an L, or 18 with an N
- Must join on a Modo Plus Principal Member’s account who is 25+ with a valid ICBC-issued Class 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 driver’s licence (full licence)
- Must live in the same physical household as the Principal Member
- Principal Members are liable up to $2,500 in the event the Green Member is involved in an at fault accident
- Green Members are not eligible to join the Modo Damage Pool
- All Green Members can make bookings, but only members with a licence (N or Class 1-5) will be issued a fob
- Learner drivers (with an L) may only drive with a qualified supervisor who is the Principal Member, unless accompanied by a certified driving instructor for lessons or road tests
- Applicant must complete the Green Member Agreement in order to register
- You will also be required to pay a $1,500 damage deposit (using cash, debit card, electronic bill payment or certified cheque payable to Modo Co-operative; note that credit cards and personal cheques will not be accepted), which is refundable if/when the Green Driver is eligible to join Modo on their own
- Green Members can not join online
Any more questions? Just visit our FAQs page or call our Member Care Team at 604.685.1393 (Lower Mainland), 250.995.0265 (Victoria), Nanaimo (250.741.4141), or 250.469.6617 (Kelowna).